- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic or more, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh, grated ginger
- 10 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 small Napa cabbage heads or large bunches of Asian greens of any type, such as bok choy (about 2 to 3 pounds of cabbage and/or greens total), thinly sliced
- 12 scallions (with the whites diced and the greens cut in 1-inch lengths)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Saute ginger and garlic until fragrant for about 1 minute.
Pour in the stock and add rice. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is just tender.
Add the cabbage and/or greens, scallions, and simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir in the sherry and sesame oil. Serve hot.
Makes 8 to 12 servings.