Eat like a mountain man tonight! This hearty bean soup calls for simple ingredients and offers loads of flavor from garlic and a diversity of herbs.
- 1-1/2 cups dried beans, soaked overnight
- 8 to 10 cups soup stock, vegetable or chicken
- Fresh or dried herb combination to taste: about 1 tablespoon each of rosemary, sage, thyme, and/or oregano; 2 or 3 bay leaves; ground chili pepper; and about 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pint of tomato sauce or whole tomatoes
- 3 or 4 carrots, sliced into disks
- 1 bunch of greens, such as kale, collards, or Swiss chard, chopped
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste
Soak beans overnight in warm water. The next day, drain beans. Then combine soup stock and beans with herbs, garlic, and onion; simmer until beans are tender. Add tomatoes, carrots, greens, salt, and pepper and simmer for another 15 minutes. Serve hot with crusty bread.